Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Social Network

Hello All,

I'm sitting in my dorm alone without my roommate who doesn't move in until tomorrow (Although it will probably be today because I think I'm going to schedule this post). Outside my room I hear freshmen making friends and enjoying themselves but I'm sitting on my bed watching The Social Network. 

Source
If you haven't seen this movie its about the creation of Facebook.

While I'm watching this movie it got me thinking just what a big influence social media plays in my life. I pretty much have every social media there is in the books. I run a blog, I have a personal Facebook page, Facebook Page for the BlogTwitterInstagram and Vine, although I don't ever use it.

I can't imagine my life without these sites. I can't imagine not being able to go on a website and look at pictures that friends posted online or read tweets from my favorite celebrity. 

But why are we so addicted? We collect social media like our grandparents collected stamps. What is it about social media that makes us want to sign up almost immediately after we hear about it? I don't know the answer to that question. 

When I was a junior in high school a lot of people were talking about how Facebook would no longer be popular after about 18 months. But now its about 4 years later and Facebook is still popular. My prediction is that for the generation that I live in, Facebook won't fade. We might not update statuses as much but will post pictures and Facebook creep our old friends. Or we'll turn into our parents who make statuses about everything our child does because we want the world to know.

There is something about Facebook that keeps us intrigue. I know that there are days, almost every other week where someone will do something on Facebook that drives me crazy or annoys me and I say that I will delete my Facebook. But deep down I know that I won't.

When I'm bored or on break at work my go to activity it to check my Instagram feed or my twitter feed. I also do it every morning as if my Instagram and Twitter are the morning paper and I might have missed something important last night.

Some people believe that our need for social media stops us from really living life but I disagree. Yes, I do tweet when some funny things happen but the majority of the time I'm too busy having fun with friends to think to tweet about it.

I don't think we should live our live behind a computer screen or cell phone screen but I still think that we should still embrace that we have the access to social media. I think that we should be amazed by the fact that we can keep  in touch with someone on the other side of the country on our own schedule instead having to hope that they can talk on the phone at the same time. I personally believe that social media is a blessing and not a curse.

What do you think about social media? Do you think its a blessing or curse? Do you think sites such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram have an expiration date? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comment always make my day!