Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blogtember: Short Fiction - Day 13

Hello All,

Today's blogtember post is something that has never been seen on The World According to Emma. Today I have been challenged to write a piece of short fiction. But here's the catch the opening line has to be the same for everybody participating in Blogtember! I haven't looked at the line since I made the original day I posted Blogtember. In a minute I'm going to look up the line and then I'm going to write what comes to my mind. I don't know how much the story will make sense but we'll have to see. 

THE BLOGTEMBER STORY:

To say I was dreading the dinner party would be the understatement of the century. For the first time since graduating college I would see the boy who I had spend years pinning over. We met the first weekend of school and he seemed like the perfect guy for me. He was tall strong and handsome. 

Why was I dreading seeing him so much? Because the last night that we were all living in the dorms I walked in on him in bed with my best friend in the world. When I saw them together I didn't know what to do. I dropped brownies that me and my roommate had made for them to celebrate our graduation and tears filled my eyes the way a puddle forms in a summer down pour.

I yelled and screamed at the two as if the boy belonged to me. But when I was done I remembered that he wasn't mine. He was single and allowed to be with anyone he pleased. 

When I walked into my former roommates house to celebrate her engagement I saw him almost immediately and all the feelings I had in college came flooding back. But instead I squeezed my boyfriend of 8 months hand and remembered that I found someone better.

Source
We walked into the living and everyone laughed and reminisced about the great times we had, had in college. I could feel his big brown eyes burning through me but I refused to look in his direction. In the past couple years I had grown up so much.

After dinner I found myself in the kitchen refilling my wine glass when he walked in. He was shy and awkward as he said hello to me. We stood there starring at each other for what felt like hours. 

"I've missed you," he said to me.

I turned my focus back to the dishes that I was watching and mumbled, "Me too."

"I'm really sorry about what happened."

"It was years ago it fine." I reply, refusing to make eye contact with him.

But soon I could feel him behind me. I turned around and our eyes met. Then he shocked me by kissing me.

Source
And I felt nothing! After four years of  pinning I felt nothing. I thought that I would feel everything in the world but no, it was the least sexy kiss I've ever had.

I looked at him for a second and started to laugh. After a few beats he started to laugh to.

"That was..."

"Horrible."

"Pretty much." I said continuing to laugh.

After collecting ourselves we returned to our friends. My boyfriend reached up and put his arm around my shoulder and I knew at that moment that maybe the boy who I thought I loved was never really anyone at all. But maybe just maybe the man I found in my boyfriend was the one.

***

I hope you all enjoyed The World According to Emma first venture into fiction. I do want to say that nobody in this story is based on anyone in my real life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comment always make my day!