Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Blogger vs. Journalist

Hello All,

A few weeks ago my awesome, Bloggy and real life friend, Natalie, wrote an awesome post that really got me thinking. Her post was about whether bloggers could be consider journalist. 

When I sit on my bed (That's where I do a lot of my blogging), open my computer and log onto blogger I don't consider myself a journalist. I don't know if I would have thought of it if I had never read Natalie's post. 

When I log on, I like to think of myself as a very boring Jenna Hamilton. Mainly because my life doesn't have a Matty McKibben in my life. 

Source
 Like Jenna I write about my life, unlike Jenna I also write movie reviews and random list and tips. Also anyone can read my blog, her is private I believe, I think they mention that in episode. But everything that I write in my blog has one thing in common, they center around my opinion. 

Everything I had ever thought about journalist was that everything they write is supposed to be unbiased. But everything I write is biased. They are 100% my opinion, I won't sugar coat anything to be more popular, I promise you that. 

But then I started thinking about what I have seen in Newspaper. There are 100s of movie reviews out there. The journalist tells you what THEY think about certain movie. But just because they think that a movie sucked doesn't mean that I do, they write article that are biased.

Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray, Good Housekeeping. They all sell magazines that are filled with recipes and DIYs. I do post post about recipes and DIYs . The writers who work for those magazines, that make them journalist.

Both of those are things that I have written posts about. Does that make me a journalist? Maybe. But I don't want to think of myself as a journalist. But I do believe that if a blogger wanted to argue that they were a journalist it would be possible for most blogs to make that arguement. Hell there are some college bloggers out there that are dreaming of being a journalist.

So, if someone came up to me and said, "Oh, so you have blog, do you think your an amature journalist or something?" I'd say no, I'm a blogger. I am writer. But that is all.

If you are a blogger would you consider yourself a journalist? If you don't have blog, would you consider bloggers journalist. Let me know in the comments below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Comment always make my day!